Monday, December 17, 2007

Gingerbread Manger Scene


Gingerbread Manger scene 001
Originally uploaded by Chris in KC
I went to church this Sunday and they were auctioning off a very nice manger scene made of gingerbread. I was very impressed with the quality and detail, so I spent some time photographing it. I especially like the toasted coconut used for hay. Very creative.

I used my 50mm f/18 (the plastic fantastic) and the ambient lighting in the foyer. I had to bump the ISO to 800 and jumped back and forth between f/2.8 and f/4. I like the bokeh on this first shot, but working with such a shallow depth of field really shows how everything in the manger scene is set at different distances from the lens. It was difficult to keep everything in focus and I did not bring my tripod.

Even so, it was nice to capture this work of art before it was eaten and lost forever. Kudos to the artist, whom I do not know.

No comments: