Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Photo Challenge: Medicine


Cured - Framed
Originally uploaded by Chris in KC
Over at Fred Miranda's website (http://www.fredmiranda.com) they have weekly and a monthly challenge. They toss out a theme and photographers submit new photographs to represent that theme. The monthly challenge for June is medicine. My wife and I had very similar ideas on a concept for that theme, and this photograph is the end result.

The title is "Cured". The concept is a woman has chosen to commit suicide and no longer needs any medicine. This probably looks like a pretty straight forward shot, but my wife and I spent quite a bit of time composing it and getting all the elements in the right place. My wife was the model. Now, it is a WAY creepy experience asking your wife to write out a suicide note (which I shredded immediately after the shoot).

I set up my dark gray backdrop and borrowed my daughter's allergy medicine. I chose my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens on my Canon XTi body. I used a Canon 430EX flash with an Gary Fong Lightsphere to diffuse the light. I also bounced the flash against the left wall. We took over 30 exposures before we were happy with the results.

One comment I have received several times is that there is too much medicine remaining. In hindsight, I agree. I should have left just a few pills with a mostly empty pill bottle.

This is a very dark shot of the horrible end that many people choose for their lives. I could only pull this off because my wife was completely understanding of what the goal was and was very supportive. Even so, I don't plan to take us back into such a dark concept shoot anytime in the near future.

No comments: