Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Checking In

It has been a while since I posted an entry. For all three of you who follow this blog, I apologize. I have been involved in several photographic projects, and have honestly been working more on my craft than I have on keeping my blog current.

Here is a brief update on the various projects I have been working on. I spent quite a bit of time this summer taking macros, mostly of insects. It is easy to get sucked into this type of photography, and many people just find it gross, but I am fascinated by the endless detail of the natural world up close. You can see all the ones I shot on my Flickr account, but here is one I liked.


Another project I was involved in was the 2nd annual Nehemiah Fest, a Christian music festival. That was a lot of fun to shoot and very challenging as it was both night and day. Those photographs are also on my Flickr account, and here is one of the photographs I liked from that event.


I have been taking advantage of my spot on the sidelines during the local NFL football games to practice my sports photography.

But, mostly I have been working on my portrait skills. I still struggle with using my flash to get soft pleasing results while minimizing shadows. I have a long way to go in this area, so I am focusing my attention on portraits by volunteering my services to as many people as I can. I shot my daughters school photographs this year, and while I am not 100% pleased with the results, I like them better than the ones the school provided.


So, even though I have not been checking in as often, I am still shooting, and still making progress (albeit much more slowly). I have some other projects I will be shooting soon, so I will try to post information about them as I shoot them. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Natron said...

Howdy Chris, I'm glad you are spending more time shooting, even if it means your blog is a bit out of date. I was wondering if you were doing alright. Glad to see you are.

Keep up the good work. You are making much better progress than I am. Remember that entry you had a while back, about being in a photographic rut, I've been in one for months now. I've only been taking the standard family pics when we go out places, nothing creative. I hope that changes, b/c I do really enjoy it, just can't find any inspiration or creativity at the moment. Plus I'm dreadfully behind on post processing. My wife tells me that she hasn't seen any pics in 5 months. I've seen them all, unprocessed, and being the perfectionist I am (and not very good at post processing), I haven't printed or shown a thing.

Good work!

BTW: This is RiceOwl on DPreview