Saturday, July 21, 2007

Photographing my first accident scene

On the way home from shooting the Harry Potter book release, I noticed one of the roads was blocked off by flares. I immediately changed lanes and headed off in the general direction of where I was seeing lights from a police car. When I got to the scene, I found this vehicle surrounded by firemen. The police had blocked off the road and one man was handcuffed and sitting on the median. I thought the lighting in the bookstore was challenging, but that was nothing compared to shooting in the middle of the road at 11:30pm under an orange street light.
I was very hesitent to cross the street at first as I was afraid the firemen and police would tell me I had to leave. But, I could not get any shots from where I was standing as it was too far away. I noticed a pedestrian on the far side who was walking toward the accident, and no one was stopping him, so I decided to take a chance and move closer to the accident. I figured the worst that could happen was they would chase me off and maybe I could get a few shots before that happened. To my great surprise, no one said anything. In fact, I was largely ignored. Gradually I moved in ever closer until I was right on top of the scene. If they were gonna let me shoot, I decided to make the most of it and took as many photographs as I could think of.

I approached the firemen to see if anyone had been seriously injured and to try to guage the emotional level of the scene. They said everyone was pretty much OK, for which I was relieved. I don't know if I am ready to photograph a fatality yet (how one gets ready for that, I have no idea).

My photographic approach was pretty simple; try everything I could think of and pray some of them worked. The flash worked, but only up close. More than 10 feet away and the scene got to dark. Using the ambient light from the street light was the only way to capture the wider shots showing the firetruck. I liked the wider spots better because I felt they gave more perspective the situation. This required a slow shutter, however, and guess what I did not have with me...a tripod. So, what I did instead was lay flat on the ground and brace the camera on the curb. This allowed me to keep the camera steady enough to get the shots with just the streetlight.

After shooting the photographs, I had the presence of mind to approach the police and get as much information as I could. My thought was to get enough information to be able to present this as a news story to the local paper. I did call them and left a message, but I have not heard back from them. Once I got home I began processing the photographs, and even though they did not all turn out, I was quite pleased with a few of them. I converted this last one to black and white, and to me, it feels like accident photographs I have seen in the paper before.

I am never glad someone had an accident, but I am glad I was there to shoot this scene. I had one guy ask me which paper I worked for. Just looking like you know what you are doing counts for a lot in a situation like this. I plan to continue looking for opportunities to document these types of scenes as I encounter them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the photos. I can't decide if I like the B&W or the color one better. I think you are right: the B&W has the "I've seen that in a newspaper" type quality. I saw this pic on dpreview forums and intially I liked the B&W better. But the color one has grown on me and I think I like that one better. They are both good though. But the color one has that unique lighting, that orange, surreal lighting that brings something to the picture. LIke you said, luckily nobody was killed or injured.

-RiceOwl

Chris said...

Thanks for the feedback, RiceOwl. It was exciting being there to take these. If I find myself in a similar position, I will definitely take more photographs.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I look forward as you post more! BTW, would you mind sharing the camera settings on the pic?

-RiceOwl

Chris said...

I am glad you enjoy the blog, RiceOwl. It has been very helpful for me to track my progress, and it keeps me motivated to keep taking new pictures.

All of the photographs in my blog are also posted on my flickr account. You can access this at http://www.flickr.com/photos/7309221@N05/. I also have a link to this on the main page of my blog. From there you can see the EXIF data for all my photographs. Click on any photograph and then on More Properties under the Additional Information section.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

Wow, I didn't know about that on the EXIF data on Flickr. Pretty slick! Were the pics hand held or did you have tripod assistance? I noticed the exposure was 1/5 of a second on one of the pics. I don't think I could do it handheld, I'm too shaky.

I agree, this is a great way to post your progress on your photos, open it up to C&C and be able to see for yourself how much your pics change. Keep up the great work and your blog is currently in my web site rotation!

-RiceOwl aka Nathan

Chris said...

Thanks for putting me in the website rotation, RiceOwl. I really appreciate that! =)

I did not handhold those, but I did not use a tripod either. I cheated and laid completely prone on the ground, and braced the camera on a curb. By doing that I was able to be still enough to get a photograph with reasonable clarity. I WISH I could handhold 1/5 second. lol

Chris said...

RiceOwl,
What is your website address?

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, Believe it or not, I don't have a website currently. To make it more humorous, I'm a software architect. But I think I'm going to set up a blog similar to what you have, I like what you are doing and have done. Hope you don't mind the copying of your idea :) I was thinking of best way to communicate my photos and such and after seeing your blog, I think this is a good way b/c it offers discussion, then have a flickr account to house most of the pics.

As soon as I get one up, I'll let you know about it! I'm actually working on some software that will make sharing photos easier, some peer to peer technology, so you won't have to upload anything to any websites at all. Think of it as instant messenger meets photo sharing. There are things out there already, but have some new twists.

Won't be out though for a while as I have a full time job and am travelling at the moment. But when it does come out, it'll be free. Should be interesting!

Natron said...

Just created my blog. Nothing is on it so far, I'm hoping to make it to Rice U this afternoon, weather permitting.

My addy is:

http://novicephotog.blogspot.com/

I'm no longer anonymous, Natron aka Nathan aka RiceOwl...