Sunday, July 8, 2007

Photography Lesson from the Morgue File - Lesson 3

It has taken me far too long to work on this lesson because I kept looking for an interesting subject. I am not completely happy with this subject either, but I think I was able to use it to complete the lesson. For this exercise I packed up my gear and headed to the Liberty Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri. This is the only national World War I Memorial in the country. Pictures cannot do it justice, so if you are ever in Kansas City, put this on your must see list.

This first photograph (the one at the very top) is taken keeping the object in the foreground in focus. This was taken in bright sunlight, and I used a polarized filter for most of the shots. I used the f1.8/50mm for this series, however, and I don't have a filter that fits that lens, so the sky is kind of washed out. I wanted a very noticeable difference between what was in focus and what was not, so I used the fastest lens I had. I am fairly happy with the way this one turned out.

Lesson 3 - focus on far object

This one, I hate. This is supposed to be the exact same scene with the background in focus and the foreground not in focus. The 50mm lens really let me down here. I don't remember there being a lot of haze which might have obscured the object so far away, but for some reason it is still very fuzzy. I had the autofocus point set right on the tower, and I took several shots to make sure the focus was correct, but it still looks terrible. This may have been a poor choice of lens by myself as the f1.8/50mm is usually a very good lens. If I had realized how bad this was going to turn out, I would have put the kit lens back on and captured a few more photographs for comparison.

Lesson 3 - Zoomed out

This was the second part of the lesson, which was to compose a scene with something both far and near. In this first photograph I captured both subjects with a wide lens. I also stopped down the aperture quite a bit to get both objects in focus. I am relatively pleased with the results, but there is obvious room for improvement.

Lesson 3 - Zoomed in

In this photograph, I pushed the zoom out to 300mm and captured just the top of the tower. This begins my love/hate relationship with the Canon 75-300mm lens. I can't believe how sharp this lens can be up close, and how soft it can be when I push it out to 300mm. I have never captured a sharp photograph with this lens at 300mm. I used to think it was just me pushing the lens too hard, not using a stable tripod, not enough light, etc. It is not just me. This lens is terrible when zoomed in. Back down around 75-200 I really like it. I routinely use it for portraits that come out looking very sharp. Let me give you another example. I moved in MUCH closer by walking a LONG way and got this next photograph.

Liberty Memorial-Closeup of one of the statues at the top-001

This was taken with the same lens, polarized filter, tripod, etc. Identical to the 300mm shot. I think this turned out very crisp and provides very good detail. It is 217 ft. to the top of the Liberty Memorial tower where this statue is, so this is no less than 300 ft. away from the subject. The difference is the focal length is only 180mm.

Liberty Memorial001

This is my favorite photograph of the day. I used the rule of thirds (more or less) for the horizon, but putting the tower at the center made this photograph look much better than when it was offset. The polarized filter really made the sky look great, and the details of the monument itself are not dark. This is not really part of this particular lesson, but I was happy with it, so I wanted to share it.

Two hours later, I packed up my gear and headed for home. I feel like I learned a lot both about the lesson itself, and about my gear. The one thing I forgot was water. The temp was around 94 degrees, and after 2 hours in the sun, I was very dehydrated. Next time, I am throwing a bottle of water in my bag.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! Here is your first blog comment! Have a great day!

Chris said...

Thanks, Blue. It only took 600 hits before I got a comment. Maybe I should take a writing class instead of a photgraphy one. lol.

Anonymous said...

LOL- here's your second comment. I meant to tell you about a great photography forum I belong to. The people are very nice and supportive, and it is a great place to "talk shop," ask questions, have others critique your work, etc. They also have an informal monthly competition. Don't know if you already belong to any like this, or how much time you have, but the site is: http://mikesphotography.myfreeforum.org/. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, I saw your posting on dpreview and decided to check out your blog. Good job, I enjoyed the first entry and will be reading the rest! I also have the Canon Rebel XT, just got it 2 weeks ago. I only have the kit lens (18-55), ordering the 50mm f1.8 next. Your lens choices are pretty much the first 2 I plan on buying. After the 50mm, i'm looking at a longer lens. Although I've been considering the 100mm prime. How does your 70-300 shoot indoors?

-RiceOwl

Chris said...

Hi, Riceowl. Thanks for stopping by. My 75-300 does well inside when it has enough light. This is definitely not a low light lens. I use it as my portrait lens, but I also use a flash with a bounce card to give it enough light. I hear a lot of people talk about using the f/1.8 50mm II for a portrait lens also, so I would try that first indoors, since you are going to buy it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, yeah I've heard nothing but good things about the 50mm, except that it feels "cheap", but the optics are great. I'm excited to get that lens. I'm afraid the 50mm won't be long enough to capture some of the things I want to photo - namely daughter's ballet recitals. Depending where they hold them, sometimes it has decent light from windows, other times the light is lower. I think the 50mm would be perfect in these conditions, however don't know if its tight enough. On the other hand, she is young (5) so they aren't in big auditoriums, usually the seating is about 50 or so people, so even at the back you aren't too far away.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I like your pictures. I found your site through morguefile.com. I have just started to look at the lessons there, and really appreciate seeing what others are doing.

I have to be a bit nit-picky with something you wrote though. On picture 3 you said, "I also opened the aperture" to get both objects in focus. Remember that depth of field is increased with a smaller aperture (larger f-number) and decreased with a larger aperture (smaller f-number). So to get both items in focus you had to close your aperture, i.e. you went to a larger f-stop.

Chris said...

Kari,
You are 100% correct. I...ummm...just put that there to see if anyone was acutally reading my entries. Yeah...that's the ticket.

I edited the entry to say, "I stopped down the aperture" which is, hopefully, more clear. Thanks for catching that.

Chris

Tyler said...

Hi Chris,

First I just want to say I really like your blog here, it's fun to see someone else's progress.

Regarding the 300mm lens pushed all the way out. I was wondering if you had used the mirror lock and timer with the shot of the tower? I'm guessing the shutter speed was pretty fast, but at that range I could imagine the mirror shaking the camera enough to blur the image some. Just a thought.

Chris said...

Hi, Tyler. Thanks for your kind words. I did use the timer, but not the mirror lock-up feature. Mirror slap may be introducing some of the softness, although I have not seen that at 200mm and less. One other item I have been reading is that the aperture needs to be stopped down to f8 or more on this lens for optimum performance. I have not seen anyone say this lens is sharp at 300mm under any conditions, so mostly I feel the limitation is inherent in the build, and I will just have to live with it. Have you had any experience with this lens? Do you use any other telephoto zoom? I will probably sell this one off an upgrade at some point in the future.

Chris

venom said...

Hi Chris,
Are you trying to teach yourself or are part of a club or forum.

The problem I found when trying to teach myself was the lack of knowledge you start with and getting no feedback on you work other than family and friends. You need to be around other Photographers and learn from them / each other. I read that Blue suggested a forum well it's a good place to start full of like minded people, I know it's helped me.

Mike

Chris said...

Hi, Mike. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment. I am trying to teach myself, both by reading as many books as I can, and by reading various websites. However, I am also trying to get connected with other photographers through a few different online communities.
One of my favorites is www.dpreview.com. The Canon 350/400 forum there is very good and there are a LOT of people who participate.
There are two different forums on www.delphiforums.com I participate in also. One Photography Passion and the other is Digicam Fun.
This blog entry was my involvement in an online class at www.morguefile.com. This class has some good information for starting photographers.
There is also a local photography club that meets once a month. I went once in May, but then I had a college class that conflicted with the meetings in June and July. I have now graduated, so I plan to attend the August meeting.
One of the reasons I put this blog up is to get constructive criticism from people like yourselves, and I have not been disappointed so far. I really appreciate each comment everyone leaves. In a year, I hope I look back and see huge improvement in my photographs.

Chris